- #1: Stardew Valley features a diverse cast of marriage candidates with their own unique personalities and storylines.
- #2: Each bachelor in Stardew Valley has specific schedules and locations throughout the different seasons.
- #3: Shane, Sam, and Alex are three bachelors in Stardew Valley with their own character arcs and preferences.
In Stardew Valley, the player takes the role of a disgruntled office worker, sick and tired of the corporate rat race. Our protagonist moves to a secluded little town to live on their late grandfather’s farm. The town in question, Pelican Town, is teeming with unique citizens ready to befriend, date, and eventually marry – a central feature of Stardew Valley.
Stardew Valley: How to Unlock the Island Trader
The Island Trader has some rare stock that you can’t get anywhere else in Stardew Valley. Here’s how to unlock this unique merchant.
As players get started and mingle with the locals, romance presents itself. In total, there are 12 Stardew bachelors and bachelorettes – six men and six women. Each of the six Stardew Valley bachelors is great in his own way, but there is a definite hierarchy of marriage candidates who give the best benefits.
Updated January 11, 2024 by Erik Petrovich: Knowing which Bachelor you want to marry is one thing – actually being able to find them regularly for gifts and other interactions is another. The residents of Stardew Valley all have complicated schedules that change on a daily and seasonal basis, Bachelors included. This list of the best Bachelors Stardew Valley players can marry has been updated to provide details on where to find each Bachelor during every season. Some of these Stardew Bachelors have minor changes between seasons, as well as exceptions for appointments and rainy days. So although their schedules may look the same, be sure to look closely to find each Bachelor’s location faster.
Good Character Development, But Bad Hygeine
Shane is an aspiring film director, but his mindless job at Joja Mart leaves him feeling empty. To fill the void, Shane drinks – A lot. When the player first meets him, Shane is a depressed alcoholic who feels he has no reason to live. He’s distant and aloof and feels like the world doesn’t want him.
During his character arc, Shane talks about killing himself while passed out. It proves to be a wake-up call and he becomes intent on improving himself and contributing to the world in whatever ways he can. However, choosing to marry Shane changes his story.
10 Games Like Stardew Valley You Need To Play
If you’ve played Stardew Valley and are looking for a new farming adventure to try out, any of these great games would do the trick!
Where To Find Shane – Route & Schedule
- Before the Community Center has been restored, Shane can typically be found at Jojamart, where he works. He won’t interact with the player while on shift. After work, usually around 5 p.m., he can be found at the Stardrop Saloon. He returns to Marnie’s Ranch at around 11 p.m. On Saturdays, he spends the afternoon in Pierre’s before heading to the Saloon for the night. On Sunday, he spends all day at home.
- After Restoring the Community Center, Shane stops working at the now-closed Jojamart, and from Monday to Friday can instead be found at Marnie’s Ranch until 5 p.m., when he heads to the Saloon.
Dating Shane and Marriage
Instead of staying on the road to recovery, Shane quits his job and doubles down on his drinking habits. He stays home, he’s mopey and rude, and despite his sweet moments, he takes considerable steps backward. Shane’s disposition after marriage shows he needs time to work on himself before making a lifelong commitment. For his sake, steer clear of Shane.
After marrying Shane, he sets up a small chicken cook on the side of the house in the spouse feature zone. Here, he can sometimes be seen tending to his little pet, and on some days he cooks Omelets, Pizzas, or Pepper Poppers for the player. Getting Shane to eight hearts, which doesn’t require dating him, also allows players to buy blue chickens at Marnie’s.
Shane Likes and Dislikes
- Loves: Beer, Hot Pepper, Pizza, Pepper Poppers
- Likes: All Eggs and Fruit
- Dislikes: All mushrooms, foraged crops, Pickles, and Quartz
How to Trigger Shane’s Heart Events
- Two Hearts: Go to the forest south of the farm anytime from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- Four Hearts: Cutscene triggers upon entering Marnie’s house
- Six Hearts: Go to the forest again on a rainy day anytime from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Seven Hearts: Two-part cutscene – first, enter Marnie’s house any time when Shane is there. Then, go to Pelican Town from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Eight Hearts: Once again, go to Marnie’s any time when Shane is home.
- Ten Hearts (Dating): Talk to Shane outside the farmhouse in the morning, then go to the Bus Stop from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- 14 Hearts (Marriage): Go to Pelican Town three times to see three different events
A Skater & Musician, But A Bit Childish
Sam is a musician and skateboard enthusiast with a knack for irritating his mom. He likes to spend most of his time skateboarding around town, playing pool in the pub, or playing guitar in his room. Sam is generous and lovable in a goofy way. No one has ever accused Sam of being too sharp, that’s for sure.
Stardew Valley: Every Summer Crop, Ranked
Looking for the best crops to plant during summer? These ones are the best of the bunch!
There’s a lack of depth of character in Sam, making him a less desirable marriage candidate. However, he does have some romantic beats, too.
Where To Find Sam – Route & Schedule
- On Mondays and Wednesdays, throughout all seasons, Sam works part-time at Jojamart from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- In the Spring, he spends most of his free time at home practicing guitar or near the Mayor’s House.
- In the Summer, he will typically spend his free afternoons at the beach with Vincent, his younger brother, except on Saturdays when he spends all day at home, playing guitar with Sebastian.
- In the Fall, Sam spends his non-working afternoons in the Forest, near Leah’s cottage and Marnie’s Ranch, except for Friday when he will go to the Stardrop Saloon in the afternoon. He has a doctor’s appointment on Fall 11.
- In the Winter, Sam spends his free afternoons exclusively at the Stardrop Saloon.
Dating Sam and Marriage
Unfortunately, this lovable doofus has a bit of a dull character arc. His father is deployed in the military for the first year of the game, but the interesting story beats regarding that story are given to his kid brother, Vincent. Instead of using his changing family dynamic as a way to grow, Sam doesn’t really react to the stress around him.
Sneaking into his room for a date is a sweet moment, even if it gets awkward when his mom barges in. When the farmer marries Sam, he will make pancakes every so often for the player. Additionally, he sets up a half-pipe behind the house. Every so often he can be seen outside skateboarding in this area.
Sam Likes and Dislikes
- Loves: Cactus Fruit, Maple Bar, Pizza, Tigerseye
- Likes: All Eggs (barring the Void Egg), Joja Cola
- Dislikes: All Mushrooms and Vegetables, all foraged crops, ore and bars, Pickles, Mayonnaise, Coal
How to Trigger Sam’s Heart Events
- Two Hearts: Go to Sam’s house when he is home
- Three Hearts: Year One only – go to the beach from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. any time except rainy days and Winter
- Four Hearts: Go to Sam’s house when he is home
- Six Hearts: On non-rainy days, go to Pelican Town anytime from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Eight Hearts: Sam will greet the farmer in the morning if they have seen his first Heart event
- Ten Hearts (Dating): On a sunny day, go to Pelican Town at night from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- 14 Hearts (Marriage): Leave and re-enter the house during the day, four cutscenes trigger on four separate days
Weights, Muscles, & Working Out Trauma
Alex is an aspiring pro gridball player with more muscles than brains, although he does show insecurity about his lack of intelligence. It’s easy to pigeonhole Alex as a stereotype, but as the farmer gets to know him they learn that he has a big heart and is more vulnerable than first meets the eye.
Throughout his arc, Alex tells the player about his abusive father and his mother’s death. Once he feels more comfortable, he lives with his heart on his sleeve, making him a bit more endearing.
Stardew Valley: All Qi Challenges, Ranked From Easiest To Hardest
Qi Challenges are important and offer great rewards in Stardew Valley. Here’s a look at all of them, ranked from easiest to hardest.
Where To Find Alex – Route & Schedule
- In the Spring, most days see Alex head outside early in the morning and stand near a tree. For the rest of the day, Alex will go in and out of his room. On Wednesdays, he heads to Haley and Emily’s house at noon and goes back home at about 6:30 p.m.
- In the Summer, Alex leaves his house very early to go to the Beach for the morning. At noon, he will leave the Beach and work at the Ice Cream Stand outside the Museum until 5 p.m. After that, he heads home for the night. Just like in the Spring, he will go to Emily and Haley’s house on Wednesdays. If it rains, he spends the day home. He has a doctor’s appointment on the 16th.
- In the Fall, Alex follows his Spring schedule, and can be found almost exclusively in or just outside his home, except Wednesdays when he is at Emily and Haley’s for the afternoon.
- In the Winter, Alex spends most of his free time at the Spa, and can be found there from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day (except, of course, Wednesdays). He can also be found at the Night Market.
Dating Alex and Marriage
When playing as a man, watching Alex struggle with his internalized homophobia and coming to terms with having feelings for the player showcases his strength of character. Unfortunately, there are some pretty lackluster moments during Alex’s story. His special event date is arguably one of the worst in the game, and he eventually gives up on his dream of becoming a pro gridball player once married. Afterward, it is sad to see him reminisce about what could have been.
When marrying Alex, he will sometimes make Omelets, Hashbrowns, or Pancakes for breakfast. After settling in he sets up an outdoor workout space in the space next to the house, where he can be seen lifting weights on random days.
Alex Likes and Dislikes
- Loves: Complete Breakfast, Salmon Dinner
- Likes: All Eggs (barring the Void Egg)
- Dislikes: Salmonberry, Wild Horseradish, Holly, Quartz
How to Trigger Alex’s Heart Events
- Two Hearts: On a Sunny day in the Summer, go to the beach
- Four Hearts: Go to Pelican Town any time from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Five Hearts: Go to Alex’s house any time while he is home
- Six Hearts: Go to Alex’s house any time whenever he is home again
- Eight Hearts: On a Sunny day in the Summer, go to the beach again
- Ten Hearts (Dating): Go to the Saloon any time from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- 14 Hearts (Marriage): Two-part cutscene – On Year Two, on any day except Sunday, leave the house with at least 5,000 G available. Then, go to the Saloon on a Sunday.
A Classic Romantic, For Better & Worse
Elliott is an aspiring novelist who lives in a cabin by the sea, which is just as picturesque as it sounds. Elliott is incredibly intelligent and passionate, often waxing poetic about whatever strikes his interest. He’s ambitious and chases his dreams, even if he gets discouraged now and then.
Most of Elliott’s arc is about overcoming his own self-doubt. Elliott opens up quickly to the protag, considering the farmer to be a good friend almost immediately. However, Elliott’s fatal flaw is that he’s a bit too perfect.
Stardew Valley: The Complete Calendar
Stardew Valley only lists the current season and currently known NPCs, so having access to the full calendar is useful.
Where To Find Elliot – Route & Schedule
In the Spring, Elliot can be found in his house, on the docks, or outside on the beach, pretty much every day of the week. On Fridays and Sundays, if players don’t have high Hearts with Leah, he will go to the Stardrop Saloon from noon to 5 p.m. to close.
In the Summer, Elliot spends most of his time in the Forest, near Leah’s Cottage and Marnie’s Ranch. On Thursdays, he can be found at Pierre’s General Store from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Just like in Spring, if players don’t have a high Hearts count with Leah, he will go to the Saloon in the evenings on Friday and Sunday.
In the Fall, Elliot spends most of his time at the Library inside the Museum, from 11 to 5 p.m. On Fridays and Sundays he will be at the Saloon if players don’t have high Hearts with Leah, and on Thursdays, he can be found at Pierre’s from 11:30 a.m. to 5:50 p.m.
In the Winter, Elliot follows pretty much the same schedule as in Fall, except that he will attend the Night market on the 17th.
Dating Elliot and Marriage
When married, Elliott always tells the farmer how blessed he is to have them in his life. It’s sweet, but there’s a distinct lack of realism here. Elliott’s melodrama can become exhausting and grating over time when it’s not balanced out with any major character flaws. Elliott is definitely good marriage material, but only if players want to be married to a doting, idealistic writer.
At the end of his event line, he says that he appreciates the player’s encouragement so much that when he finally finishes his novel he dedicates it to the farmer. After marrying Elliot, he makes Coffee every few days for the player, which gives a small speed boost. He sets up a small reading and writing garden in the outdoor space next to the house, where he can be seen working on his novels or reading on some days.
Elliot Likes and Dislikes
- Loves: Crab Cakes, Duck Feather, Lobster, Pomegranate, Squid Ink, Tom Kha Soup
- Likes: All Fruit, Octopus, Squid
- Dislikes: All mushrooms and milk, all foraged crops, Amaranth, Quartz, Sea Cucumber
How to Trigger Elliot’s Heart Events
- Two Hearts: Go to Elliot’s house on the beach any time when he is home
- Four Hearts: Go to the Saloon from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Six Hearts: Go to Elliot’s house any time when is home again
- Eight Hearts: Enter the Museum from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Ten Hearts (Dating): On a non-rainy day, go to the beach from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- 14 Hearts (Marriage): Leave the house any time when there are no upcoming festivals for at least a week
The Town Doctor & A Great Guy All Around
Harvey is Stardew Valley’s resident doctor, and he’s both intelligent and sensitive. Harvey shows himself to be quite the anxious nerd and he’s socially oblivious, but his dorkiness makes him endearing. Harvey may be a ball of nerves, but he’s incredibly kind and committed to keeping the town healthy.
Unfortunately, the first parts of Harvey’s arc are pretty boring – he’s the only town doctor, after all, which means he works a lot. His character and personality start to show over time, though.
Stardew Valley: How to Setup a Tree Farm
A tree farm can be a useful way to get foraging resources without having to trek halfway across Stardew Valley.
Where To Find Harvey – Route & Schedule
In the Spring, Harvey works almost every day at the Clinic from about 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. At noon, he goes to the park for a few hours, then returns to the clinic. After 5:30, he usually goes back to his room. On Friday, he goes to Pierre’s at noon, and goes back to his room at 3 p.m. Harvey goes to the Museum on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In the Summer and Fall, Harvey follows the same schedule and can be found in the same places as in Spring.
In the Winter, Harvey follows the same schedule, but will attend the Night Market after 5 p.m. on the 15th.
Dating Harvey and Marriage
Between catching him at an aerobics class and stumbling in on him playing on his airplane radio, it’s hard not to love an adorkable doctor. Additionally, Harvey displays impressive maturity. When telling the farmer about his dreams to be a pilot, Harvey is at peace with the fact that that wasn’t in the cards for him. Harvey is also blessed with one of the most romantic dates in the game. In marriage, Harvey is an absolute joy to have around without being just too much like Elliot.
After marrying Harvey, he will make the player a Complete Breakfast every few days. In the space outdoors used for spouse features, he sets up a small garden, just like Elliot (though it is visually different). Similar to Elliot, he can often be seen here reading, though he can also be found more regularly at the clinic.
Harvey Likes and Dislikes
- Loves: Coffee, Pickles, Super Meal, Truffle Oil, Wine
- Likes: All Fruit and mushrooms, all foraged crops (barring Spice Berry and Salmonberry), Duck Egg, Duck Feather, Ginger, Goat Milk, Quartz
- Dislikes: Sea shells, Spice Berry, Salmonberry, baked and sweet goods, Bread, Cheese, Pizza, Rice Pudding
How to Trigger Harvey’s Heart Events
- Two Hearts: Go to George’s house while George is home
- Four Hearts: On Tuesday, Wednesday, or Sunday, go to the Clinic while Harvey is on duty
- Six Hearts: Go to Pierre’s between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. any day
- Eight Hearts: Go to the Clinic again any time
- Ten Hearts (Dating): Go to the Spa area of the mountain from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. any day
- 14 Hearts (Marriage): Leave and re-enter the house any time Harvey is home
An Independent, Honest Emo With Big Dreams
When first meeting Sebastian, it’s easy to misconstrue him as a misanthropic, edgy loner – but getting to know Sebastian might completely change the farmer’s perception of him. He’s a freelance computer programmer saving up so he can move away from Pelican Town because he struggles to connect with his family and other locals.
His character arc is all about the farmer and Sebastian learning to understand one another. Throughout his arc, he works hard to reexamine his goals and desires, eventually realizing that it’s his duty to create his own happiness.
Where To Find Sebastian – Route & Schedule
In the Spring, Sebastian can typically be found in or just outside his house by the Lake, except on Friday, Saturday, and rainy days. On Friday, he goes to the Saloon from 3 to 5 p.m. On Saturday Sebastian will go to Emily and Haley’s house to play music with Sam in the morning, and he two smoke by the river afterward. He goes home at 7:30 p.m. On Rainy Days, he can either be found in the Saloon or the Beach/Pier.
In the Summer, Sebastian follows the same schedule as in Spring. If the Railroad is unlocked, he will stand by the Train Station on Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
In the Fall, Sebastian follows pretty much the same schedule as Spring and Summer (including the Thursday Railroad location), but instead of smoking in and around the house, he will leave most days to stand close to the Mines, north of the Lake to the right of his house.
In the Winter, Sebastian follows the same schedule as in Spring and Summer.
Dating Sebastian and Marriage
Sebastian’s self-reflective (but not somber) nature and fierce independence showcase maturity most other bachelors don’t possess. When pursuing a relationship, Sebastian is one of the few marriage candidates who keeps his job, still hangs out with his friends, and enjoys his alone time. Additionally, he speaks frankly about the relationship, showcasing an honesty that is unique to his romance. His romance is based on mutual respect and honesty, and he’s the most realistic husband in the game. Without a doubt, Sebastian is the best bachelor in Stardew Valley.
After marrying Sebastian, he makes Coffee sometimes for the player in the mornings. He sets up a display area for his motorcycle in the space outdoors, where he can be seen working on it every so often.
Sebastian’s Likes and Dislikes
- Loves: Frozen Tear, Obsidian, Pumpkin Soup, Sashimi, Void Egg
- Likes: Flounder, Quartz
- Dislikes: All flowers and mushrooms (except Poppy and Red Mushrooms), all foraged ingredients, all artisan goods, all eggs (barring the Void Egg), Clay, Complete Breakfast, Omelet
How to Trigger Sebastian’s Heart Events
- Two Hearts: Go to Robin’s house and enter Sebastian’s room when he is home
- Four Hearts: Go to the mountain area any day from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Six Hearts: Enter Sebastian’s basement any time he is home again
- Eight Hearts: On a Rainy day, go to the beach between 12 p.m. and 11 p.m.
- Ten Hearts (Dating): Enter the mountain area again any day from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- 14 Hearts (Marriage): Two-part cutscene – first, on a Rainy day, go to the mountain once again from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Then, leave and re-enter the house any time the next day.
- February 26, 2016
- E for Everyone (Fantasy Violence, Mild Blood, Mild Language, Simulated Gambling, Use of Alcohol and Tobacco)