- One fan’s concept for a botany-themed support character in Overwatch 2 is impressively detailed and would potentially shake up the game’s meta if made real.
- The success of Overwatch lies in its diverse cast of characters, and fans have been inspired to create their own hero concepts that fit into the game’s world.
- The concept for the fan-made support hero, Eden, has received positive reception, although some fans believe her abilities may need to be nerfed if she were to be officially added to the game.
Among the ideas fans have come up with for new Overwatch 2 heroes, one fan’s concept for a botany-themed support character really takes the cake for the way this hypothetical hero would shake up the game’s meta. While plenty of fans have tried their hand at imagining new additions to the roster, this one in particular goes the extra mile with a unique moveset so detailed and realized one could easily imagine them being added to Overwatch 2 for real in the near future.
Arguably the greatest strength of Overwatch as a franchise lies with its cast. The 39 distinct characters that make up its current playable lineup not only enable a wide range of gameplay styles, but their individual personalities and lore have painted a vivid picture of Overwatch’s world, its history, and its different factions. It’s no wonder then that players have been inspired to create their own fan-made Overwatch hero concepts, imagining how their original characters might fit into the world and how they might play if they were in the game.
This Fan-Made Aboriginal Overwatch 2 Hero Concept Looks Like The Real Deal
An Overwatch 2 fan shares a Aboriginal Australian hero concept that they made, and they nail the accuracy of Blizzard’s usual art style.
Over on Reddit recently, user Gardenghi16 shared their concept for a support hero they call Eden, and what they had to show was very impressive. In addition to a design by artist DG Mun that matches the Overwatch aesthetic brilliantly, Gardenghi16 described an entire kit for the character based around healing her allies and charging them up with plant-based abilities.
Full Ability List For Overwatch 2 Fan Hero Concept Eden
- Fertilizer Applicator – Primary Fire: Fires a short-range fertilizer spray that damages enemies and grants allies temporary Overhealth every 15 seconds.
- Goodberry – Secondary Fire: Throws a fruit that restores a large portion of an ally’s health and restores additional health over time.
- Fertile Soil – E: Creates a field of plants that restores the health of allies within its area of effect. Enemies in the AOE instead take damage and receive reduced healing.
- Photosynthesis – Left Shift: Envelops Eden in a whirlwind of leaves that reduces damage, increases movement speed, and removes negative effects.
- Forbidden Fruit – Ultimate: Throws a fruit to an ally that fully charges their Ultimate ability, restores health to nearby teammates, and removes most negative effects.
- Green Thumb – Passive: Eden’s healing abilities restore 20% more health for allies with critical HP.
Gardenghi16 also laid out a fleshed-out origin story for their Overwatch hero, establishing Eden as the daughter of one of the founders of the desert metropolis Oasis. There, she nurtured a natural talent for science and developed an interest in botany, which eventually led her to join Overwatch. Eden would then spend the subsequent years advancing her agricultural research at an Ecopoint facility in the Amazon, carrying on with her work through the fall of Overwatch and eventually rejoining the organization following its reformation in Overwatch 2’s present-day storyline.
The overall reception to Eden has been very positive, with fans praising Gardenghi16’s concept for both her kit and her backstory, and expressing interest in her Ultimate’s ability to charge other Ultimates. That said, however, some noted that such a skillset would probably make Eden a little too powerful as a support hero. Were she to be officially added to the game as is, chances are Blizzard would have to nerf her abilities and the amount of healing they dish out before long, similarly to what happened with Overwatch 2’s previous support hero Illari.
Overwatch 2 is Blizzard’s free-to-play team-based first-person shooter. The title features some new heroes like Junker Queen and Sojourn, as well as returning favorites.
- October 4, 2022